Creates access, insight and engagement through the arts.
Selected Cultural Institutions and Affiliations
- Recognized by KEA as a World Class New Zealander
- International Ambassador to the Auckland Art Gallery (New Zealand)
- International Ambassador to the Auckland University of Technology (New Zealand)
- Art Consultant to the Hall Art Foundation (Germany, Massachusetts and Vermont)
- Art Consultant to Gibbs Farm (New Zealand)
- Artistic Director and Co-Founder with Mary Himes of “#UNLOAD: Arts Trigger a Conversation,” an initiative to promote conversation through arts and education around gun violence in America.
- Gubernatorial Appointment to the Connecticut Arts Council (Connecticut)
- Artistic Director Emeritus of Westport Arts Center (Connecticut)
- Art Advisor at The Armory Show (New York), Art Toronto (Canada), and was one of the first art advisors from the West at Art Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
Notable Exhibitions, Lectures, Presentations and Seminars
- Co-produced Joseph Michaels' first international iteration of "Voices of the Future," an immersive art installation, which lit up the United Nations General Assembly and Secretariat buildings in NYC ahead of the UN’s Climate Action Summit and global school strikes, with an artwork unveiled to the public on Friday, September 20, 2019.
- Artistic Director and Co-Founder of “#UNLOAD: Arts Trigger a Conversation,” a statewide initiative to promote conversation through arts and education around the issue of gun violence in America.
- “A Night of Nurturing Nature“ with Helen Clark, former Prime Minister of New Zealand and Edward Burtynsky photographer featured in the Nature Speaks exhibition at Westport Arts Center, 2014 (Connecticut)
- “On the Wire Veiled Rebellion” conversation with Helen Clark to complement the photography exhibition on view depicting Afghan women’s lives by Lynsey Addario
- “Malawi With Love” a collaborative exhibition with Save the Children featuring artwork by Malawian children at Westport Arts Center, 2011
- “Hope in Haiti“ an exhibition of photographs taken by 50 children from the Carma Foundation Orphanage in Haiti at Westport Arts Center, 2011
- “Champions to End Malaria – featuring PLATON” exhibition at United Nations, 2011
- 2011-2015 Travelled via overnight airlifts through AmeriCares to Guatemala, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, and El Salvador
- Dumas, Tim. "The Art of Conversation: How Two Women Are Using Art to Encourage Civilized Discussion About Gun Safety." Greenwich Magazine, October 2018
- Klisser During, Helen. "Summer Ski Touring: A New Zealand Adventure That Takes You Far Off The Beaten Path." Connecticut Cottages & Gardens, July/August 2016
- Loynd, Ann. "Vantage Point: From their CT Studios, Five Groundbreaking Artists See Their Works Come to Life." Connecticut Cottages & Gardens, November 2014
- Klisser During, Helen. "Venice Biennale: The Irresistible Lure of the World's Premier Art Exhibit." Connecticut Cottages & Gardens, September 2013
- Jahmane. "Takin' it to the Streets," Connecticut Cottages & Gardens, September 2013
- McCall, Claire, "Toast of the Town," Simply You Living. Summer 2011/2012
- Hall, Mitchell. "Bread and Roses." Idealog, December 9, 2010
- Klisser During, Helen. "Down at the Farm: An Art Advisor and Curator...Gives CTC&G an Exclusive Tour of One of the World's Most Astounding Sculpture Parks." Connecticut Cottages & Gardens, September 2007
- Eliasoph, Philip. "Silvermine Strikes Gold." Westport Magazine, March 2004
- Zimmer, William. "Dedicated to Fueling a Passion for the Arts." The New York Times, May 6, 200
- McLean, Terry. The Best of McLean. Hodder & Stoughton, 1984. “They Do Come Back” essay on page 150 as reprinted from the New Zealand Herald, September 8, 1979
Selected Honors, Awards and Special Recognitions
- Member of The Explorer’s Club, for international work in social justice and photo-documentation
- Each year from 2011-2018, received an Award for Excellence in Photojournalism for photographs which documented issues and events from the global to the hyperlocal
- Recognized by KEA as a World Class New Zealander
- Served as the still photographer for Gaylene Preston's 2016 film "My Year with Helen: The Helen Clark Documentary"
- Photographs and photo essays have been published in a wide range of national and international publications including: Architectural Digest, The Art Market Report, Art New Zealand, artforum.com, artnet.com, Connecticut Cottages & Gardens, Hamptons Cottages & Gardens, larryslist.com, Magazin, Monopol Magazin, New Zealand Herald, nycgo.com, richtopia.com, stuff.co.nz and WestportNow.com
- Klisser During has contributed strongly to New Zealand athletics, as was noted by Terry McLean in his essay “They Do Come Back,” which first appeared in The New Zealand Herald in 1979 and was reprinted in the 1984 book “The Best of McLean.”
- Klisser During was on the New Zealand ski team in 1976 representing NZ in the European Cup circuit,training with the NZ ski team in Switzerland when she broke her back during a downhill race at 80 miles per hour and spent 14 weeks in hospital. Four years later, supposedly retired from the NZ ski team, she surprised everyone by racing in the National Championships and becoming runner up.
- In 1980 Helen was awarded Auckland University’s Sportswoman of the Year.